Monday, August 27, 2012

Smashing Toast, Gromit!


Well, things have picked up a bit :) We didn't have many dinners at first, but now we have about 4 a week, which is nice. My first dinner in the ward was with the S. family. Sister S. is from Uruguay and Brother S. speaks Spanish, too. The C. & R.s were there and they both served Spanish missions, so we were all speaking Spanish and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! Elder A. has been picking up some Spanish, too. I like to think that my "teaching" helps him. He is very smart and studied a bit of Latin. He could easily pick it up!

We found a small family that may progress, but we need to teach them a second time. They both said they would read the Book of Mormon, and the wife expressed interest in coming to church. We will see this next week. Note: we need to get closer appointments so we can progress faster!

We had a referral that turned out being Spanish and we introduced the Book of Mormon! It felt so good to have an almost 100% Spanish lesson again!:) It was really hard to tell her that the "Spanish missionaries" would be coming by next time. It about killed me!

A car stalled in front of a crazy busy intersection, and Elder Allred and I pushed it across by ourselves. I would like to know what the people were thinking and saying as we did it. It was really fun. I also happened to be on the phone at the time we decided to hop out :). Love service!!!

We met a less-active family and they straight-up told us that they didn't want us trying to persuade them to come back, but that they would let us in for a drink or to talk (but not gospel). They are all from Mexico but speak perfect English. The wife is not a member and looked pretty ticked-off when we showed up. She opened up tons when I began to speak Spanish with her, though. Before we left, they committed to call us so we could help them do some kind of service soon. I am really stoked and could not stop thinking about them. It was not a coincidence that we found them. There is something incredibly special about them.

Yesterday after leaving church I was reading a talk that brother Boswell (an MVP incredible man) gave us. We were discussing some updates on the ward list when I got an interesting buzz from head to toe, like I was being scanned by a spiritual price gun. I literally stopped talking and focused on the feeling for a minute. I had been talking about a member, Sister O., at the time. I knew it had been a prompting and I told my companero that we needed to see her today. We eventually got by and had an amazing lesson! She told us, "I signed up for the missionaries last week for dinner, was that you guys?" We were not aware and had not planned on being fed that night. We were able to uplift her and experience her strong testimony. She had a brain aneurism about 2 years ago and became a member shortly thereafter. She told us that she was grateful for the anerism because she had been a workaholic and would've worked herself to death if she had not been forced to slow down. It was powerful to hear her explain the blessings of this experience. My companion also strengthened her with an awesome scripture chain about the Embrace of the Atonement (I will write it next week ;)! We were both blown away by the Spirit!

We met the M. family, who moved into the ward a few months ago.  I was telling them I was form Orem, and Brother M. said “I'm from there, too!” He saw my name tag and asked "Are you related to Adriane and Lauren?" I was shocked! All I could say was "Are you serious!" SO I met A.M. and he is doing awesome! He served in Carlsbad speaking Mandarin. There you have it! Love you all dearly!! I have to run. My hour is up!!!! Lots of love from Los Angeles!

No comments:

Post a Comment