Monday, March 5, 2012
Alas, Earwax! [Harry Potter]
Harry Potter does come up quite often around here.:) All the missionaries in our ward now (10 companionships) have been out under 5 transfers or about 6 months. It is crazy!!! Elder D. and I received a new companion who is waiting for his visa to Mexico! His name is Elder F. He is from Rexburg, Idaho and we have had so much fun already. We were at a light trying to turn right and I said "Can I make it?" I immediately quoted “What’s Up Doc” and answered myself, "We can make it!" Then Elder F. said "I don't think we can make it..." and the quoting began. It was so funny! Who knows how long he'll be here, but we are glad to have him and hope he can learn as much as he can about missionary work before he hits Cuernavaca with all he's got!
Y's confidence is building so strong. When we ask questions now, she is not hesitant and answers confidently!! She is awesome!!! Both she and J are set to be baptized this Sunday the 11th. Woot!!! We also had a lesson with a family we found my second week here and it was cool! D prayed and his wife A was very involved. They work a lot and lessons are hard to schedule, but we will keep trying. One new referral we taught was pretty interested. When we told her that Christ taught all of the things we need to live again, she said "Cuales son? Por favor digame." I was blown away. I have never had a referral ask me to tell them what they needed to do to get eternal life.
One lady we met by the post office asked us if we could help her and we said "Yeah!" She wanted money, but we gave her a Bible because hers was small and falling apart. We put a Book of Mormon card in the middle and as we drove away, Elder D. saw the pages fall open to the card as she perused the book. We couldn't help but fist bump like Shawn and Gus. When we were searching for answers as a companionship for how to best help an investigator, we said a group prayer and then shared the answers we felt we had received. Interestingly enough, we got the same answer with a little variation. That was a powerful experience! Another day we were making a plan after looking through a list of former investigators, and we saw one name that stood out. As we looked further we saw that this family had had a baby girl on the 3rd of March. As that date echoed in our minds, we realized that today was the 3rd of March. Coincidence? I think not! We knew we had to go that day. This family was not home but their neighbors were, and they really liked El Plan de Salvacion. We will be going back tomorrow...:)
We talked to one boy who was playing basketball and we played a bit with him, too. He kept calling me Kirilinko (used to play for the Jazz). It was fun. He really likes the missionaries. We made about a bajillion Swedish pancakes at the M's house and they LOVED them!!! We are planning to do a FHE with them as well. Later that night, I got to witness two new missionaries (mis companeros) teaching effectively and fluidly in full Spanish. Elders D. and F. killed it! They were answering questions with Hno. M. about the sacrament and repentance.
Last night we had several situations that turned into lessons with people in the area. I am really focusing on boldness and talking to everyone! We are very excited. The same is applicable in non-missionary life as well. When something turns out differently (a bummer), you can always turn it into something happy.
Well, I am almost out of time. Yesterday I read Sister Dalton's talk about purity, and fathers loving mothers. It was such a pump-up and I loved it! The one thing to always remember, "Your personal purity will give you POWER." I love studying, even though there’s never as much time for it out here as I would like.
You can all do missionary work as well. There is nothing to be afraid of. Nothing can stop this work from moving forward! All we need to do is open our mouths and talk to those around us. Be the best you can be!!! I love you all!
P.S. "Paradox of man: we are nothing compared to God, but yet we are everything to him!" -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment