Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Almost July???

Santa Vaca! I cannot believe the time has gone so fast! Elder C. and I have already been here for almost 6 weeks now! It is almost Gregory's birthday, too! Not to mention the Fourth of July! Sorry that I didn't get to email on Monday; the library closed early for some reason, and they kicked us out before we could finish!  Luckily we got permission to write today.  Elder C. loves beans and eggs, by the way. He thought they sounded gross until I actually made them. Now he has stocked up on ranch-style beans and eggs!:D

Our neighbors above us had a baby and we got to know them a bit. The husband asked us for a Book of Mormon so he can read it, which was a surprise, although we had hoped they would come along one day. The kids always say hi to us and the parents are really friendly. They were amazed to find that we speak Spanish (or at least try). Other contacts: we met a girl reading on the street who said she wanted to come to church. A teen named L. read the first 2 chapters of the Book of Mormon after our introductory lesson last week!

We got lost trying to find a member's house and found ourselves on this hill with lots of expensive homes. We drove up to the top out of curiosity and found this HUGE house! It is called the Paramour, we think, and there was an event going on. We don't know who owns it, but the bodyguard/bouncer was pretty cool and said I could put a pass-along card in the mailbox! When we shook hands, though, I felt like he was going to crush my body!

Although L.A. is crazy and very worldly, we see good things every day. We saw a dad holding hands with his three small kids while walking down the street, and it was really cute (pardon the word). I had to stop him and talk to him. He may not attend church or let us come to his house, but a seed was planted in what appeared to be fertile soil.

We had a Zone Conference/Mission Tour with Elder Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy last week. It was a really cool conference. Elder C. and I got one of the clean car awards, which was nice, and I also got to talk with Elder Ri. and Ro. from the MTC! I think the most important thing I learned was that we really do have an immense influence on the people we teach.

D. and J. (who were recently baptized) were able to go to the Temple on Thursday and do baptisms for the dead! D. even submitted names and was baptized for several of her ancestors from Mexico! Super cool! There is nothing as rewarding as seeing recent converts go to the Temple!

I loved Sister Dalton and President Monson’s talks in the YW session! If you haven't read them or reread them, I highly suggest it! I especially liked how Sister Dalton said that a "shiny" countenance does not rely on makeup or fashion. It comes from our personal purity. It made me think of all my sisters and especially Mom, who were always the best example of that. Thanks to you, I have a pretty darn good start on what I want to look for in a wife. I love you all and hope you smile lots today! Keep your chin up and never forget who we can become!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment